Yoon hosts private banquet with chaebol chiefs
简介South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol invited the chiefs of the country's top conglomerates -- S ...
South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol invited the chiefs of the country's top conglomerates -- Samsung Electronics, SK Group and LG Group -- to a private banquet Tuesday to discuss pending issues, according to industry sources on Thursday.
Samsung Electronics Chairman Lee Jae-yong, SK Group Chairman Chey Tae-won and LG Group Chairman Koo Kwang-mo were reportedly invited to the meeting at the presidential office in Yongsan, central Seoul, with Hyundai Motor Group Executive Chair, leader of the nation's No. 3 conglomerate, absent possibly due to a business trip.
It marked the first time the president held an exclusive meeting with the nation's top four chaebol leaders at his office.
At the banquet, the president and chaebol leaders discussed the global economic crisis and ways for the government and industries to cooperate. Yoon also reportedly stressed the importance of the role of conglomerates.
They shared their experiences and thoughts on their efforts to support Busan's bid to host the 2030 World Expo. The host city of the upcoming Expo will be decided in a vote during the 173rd General Assembly of Bureau International des Expositions in Paris on Nov. 28.
Sources said Yoon also expressed appreciation for the leaders' accompany in his state visits and overseas trips at the dinner.
The three chiefs have accompanied Yoon on past state visits with the presidential delegation. In the latest trip last month, Lee accompanied Yoon to Saudi Arabia and Qatar, taking part in a 130-member business delegation, where Yoon reportedly forged business deals worth some 21 trillion won ($15.6 billion).
Conglomerate chiefs are also expected to join the presidential economic delegation to accompany the president on his planned state visit to Britain, upon the invitation of King Charles.
Chey, who is also the chairman of the Korea Chamber of Commerce and Industry, one of the largest business lobbying groups in Korea, is expected to visit Paris during that time for last-minute efforts to promote the Busan Expo bid. He is the co-chair of the World Expo 2030 Busan Bid Committee.
The presidential delegation may join Chey in Paris after their trip to Britain.
An appellate court on Wednesday upheld a 40-year prison sentence for a man charged with fatally stab ...
Apple’s latest flagship smartphone series will likely launch in South Korea next month, according to ...
"Face to Face" (a literal translation of the Korean title)By Choi Eun-miChangbi PublishersIn the aut ...
- Pentagon chief stresses US ability to tackle 'crises in multiple theaters'
- Russian top diplomat to visit NK, accuses US of fueling tensions on Korean Peninsula
- PM departs for China for Asian Games, meeting with Xi
- Sabre fencer, swimming relay team eye historic medals
- Lee Hyori returns with 1st new song in 6 years
- Hyundai Engineering wins US gas
[HIT Forum] Innospace champions small satellite renaissance
[Korea Beyond Korea] 'Funding drought jeopardizes interest in ancient Korea studies in US'
S. Korean firms urge US to clarify 'foreign entity of concern'
Gangwon Forestry Exhibition 2023 kicks off in Korea's 'forest capital'
Samsung Electronics forecasts Q3 rebound
Dodgers prospect trying to fit in with S. Korean nat'l baseball team
- Floor leader of main opposition party voices disappointment at Yoon's budget speech
- CJ Olive Young opens foreigner
- Memorial park for independence fighter to open in Kazakhstan
- STX, Triple
- In early 2029, Earth will likely breach key warming threshold: scientists
- LG Energy Solution debuts new battery
- [Korea Quiz] Lucrative MLB careers
- Asiana Airlines delays decision on cargo business sell
- NCSoft to unveil new titles at G
- 北 오죽 돈 없으면…유럽서도 방 뺀다, 주스페인 대사관 폐쇄
- [Herald Interview] 'UN peacekeeping forces need better gender equity'
- Is S. Korea dangerous for women?
- [Photo News] Floral Butterfly
- S. Korean fencer Oh Sang
- Hamas surprise attack out of Gaza leaves hundreds dead in fighting, retaliation
- [Herald Review] ‘Carmen’ redefines iconic femme fatale as stalking victim
- 문재인 "부동산 정책, 초유 상황에 실책…신뢰 잃어 뼈아프다"
- Young swimmer enjoys self
- Unification ministry urges NK to immediately send detained S. Koreans back home
- Tapas bar explores modern interpretations of kimchi
- 120,000 more public homes to be supplied by this year
- Seoul shares open lower on Fed, growth woes
- Israeli forces clash with Hamas gunmen after hundreds killed
- 尹 “국민, 안보 믿음 가졌을 것”…4000명 장병 동원 행진 주관
- Seoul condemns Hamas’ attack on Israel
- Seoul prepares for first major military parade in ten years
- Satellite imagery highlights 'dramatic' increase in N. Korea
- KCON Saudi Arabia 2023 attracts 23,000 K
- Opposition leader Lee attends arrest warrant hearing at Seoul court
- S. Korean ambassador says stronger Russia