Blinken to discuss Russia, Middle East, N. Korea during visit to Seoul: State Department
简介US Secretary of State Antony Blinken plans to discuss responses to Russia's war in Ukraine and insta ...
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken plans to discuss responses to Russia's war in Ukraine and instability in the Middle East during his trip to Seoul as part of a multination trip this month, his office said Wednesday.
His nine-day trip, which includes stops in Israel, Jordan, Japan and India, is set to begin Thursday as Washington is striving to prevent an escalation of the war between Israel and the Hamas militant group while maintaining its strategic policy focus on the Indo-Pacific region.
In Seoul, the fourth leg of the trip, Blinken will have meetings with President Yoon Suk Yeol, Foreign Minister Park Jin and National Security Adviser Cho Tae-yong to discuss ways to respond to the war in Ukraine, Russia's growing military cooperation with North Korea and escalating tensions in the Middle East, according to State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller.
"They will also discuss mutual efforts to support bilateral investment and economic security," Miller said in a press release.
Before visiting Seoul, Blinken will join a Group of Seven foreign ministerial meeting in Tokyo and hold bilateral meetings with Prime Minister Fumio Kishida and Foreign Minister Kamikawa Yoko to discuss Ukraine's economic recovery and energy needs, and other issues.
"In Tokyo and Seoul, the secretary will underscore the United States' ironclad commitment to the defense of Japan and ROK and reaffirm the importance of robust and sustained trilateral engagement following the historic Camp David summit in August," Miller said, using the acronym for South Korea's official name, the Republic of Korea.
The US has praised the Camp David summit as having ushered in a "new era" of trilateral cooperation as it produced a series of landmark agreements, including the three leaders' "commitment to consult" each other in the event of a common security threat.
In Tel Aviv, Israel, the first leg of the trip, Blinken plans to reiterate America's support for Israel's right to defend itself "consistent with international humanitarian law" and discuss efforts to secure the release of hostages and increase humanitarian aid to Palestinian civilians in the besieged Gaza Strip, Miller said.
He will then fly to Jordan, where Blinken will underscore the importance of protecting civilian lives and the two nations' commitment to facilitating the sustained shipment of humanitarian aid to civilians in Gaza.
In New Delhi, Blinken is set to join the two countries' "two plus two" ministerial meeting, where Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin will also be present. (Yonhap)
윤석열 대통령이 11일 용산 대통령실 청사에서 미국 상원의원 대표단을 접견하고 있다. 사진 대통령실 제공윤석열 대통령과 한국을 방문 중인 미국 상원의원 대표단은 11일 이스라엘에 ...
Samsung Group affiliates introduced a new corporate social responsibility program offering support t ...
김웅 국민의힘 의원이 17일 오전 경기 수원시 영통구 경기도청에서 열린 국회 행정안전위원회의 경기도에 대한 국정감사에서 질의를 하고 있다. 뉴스1김웅 국민의힘 의원이 내년 총선 출 ...
S. Korea keeping close tabs on reported repatriation of N.K. defectors from China: minister
6 pct of executives in S. Korea's top 100 firms women: data
Will Blackpink renew contract as group?
S. Korea elected as member of UNESCO World Heritage Committee
Yoon, officials strongly condemn Hamas killings as act of terrorism
City becomes attractive when social minorities are empowered: Seoul mayor
- City becomes attractive when social minorities are empowered: Seoul mayor
- Christmas comes early with aespa's 'Jingle Bell Rock'
- [From the Scene] Jewel Changi offers glimpse of how to make airport fun
- Two Koreans named among world's top 200 art collectors
- Seoul shares almost flat after Fed minutes, Nvidia results
- [Photo News] Sisters acting on stage
- Dreamcatcher returns as 'villains' with special power
- 이재명 "가장 큰 문제는 오만, 몸가짐·마음가짐 철저 관리를"
- [Herald Interview] Former Treasure member Bang Ye
- [Korean History] In 2008, Korea's National Treasure No. 1 went down in flames
- Korea to start hiring E
- 조응천 "김종인이 2명 배제하자…민주당, 총선서 제1당 됐다"
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Korean studies in Turkey grows on foundation of strong relations
- Former Hungarian ambassador receives Gwanghwa Medal
- TBS appeals to Seoul to hold off on slashing support
- Samsung's Harman acquires audio platform Roon
- KB chief vows to nurture AI talents
- ‘Smugglers’ wins best picture at 44th Blue Dragon Film Awards
- 홍준표, 하태경 종로 출마 선언에…"주사파 출신이 갈 곳 아니다"
- Van Cleef & Arpels touring exhibition brings sparkles to Seoul
- 1 in 8 commercial flights exposed to pathogens: KDCA
- [KH explains] Hyundai to sell vehicles on Amazon in US sales push
- Yoon replaces spy agency leadership
- 금태섭 “文 전 대통령, 조국 출마 적절한지 의견 분명히 해야”
- 이상민 "현실적 선택지는 국민의힘…12월 초까지 거취 결정"
- [Hello Indonesia] Hyundai Motor vows to steer Indonesia's transition to EVs
- Hyundai Motor to halt Asan factory in Korea for EV factory construction
- YG’s new girl group Babymonster debuts with single 'Batter Up'
- Gangnam teen investigated for assaulting deliveryman with golf club
- 러 매체 “北 위성에 러시아 도움, 근거 없다…포탄 지원설도 마찬가지”