Prospects of Yoon's formal meeting with Xi uncertain: Yoon's office
简介While time is running out, there are still no clear prospects of a formal meeting between President ...
While time is running out, there are still no clear prospects of a formal meeting between President Yoon Suk Yeol and Chinese President Xi Jinping.
"We have a day left (before departing from the United States) and discussions (over an arrangement of the Yoon-Xi meeting) are ongoing," a presidential official told reporters on condition of anonymity Thursday.
"We cannot guarantee that the meeting of the two leaders would actually happen due to the leaders' packed schedules."
There were speculations that Yoon might hold talks with Xi during their time in San Francisco, California, for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation leaders' week. Should the meeting take place, it would be the two leaders' first meeting in a year.
Xi is in the US for the first time in six years, and held a summit with US President Joe Biden on Wednesday.
On Thursday, Xi and Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida held face-to-face talks to mend strained ties largely due to China's ban on Japanese seafood after Japan started disposing of treated water from a crippled nuclear power plant in northeastern Japan.
"From China's perspective, they should prioritize Xi's summit with Biden, and afterward, use the remaining time available for them as efficiently as possible," the official said.
"The matter of Korea-China talks is separate from (Xi's) talks with leaders of the US and Japan. We are ahead of the strategic decision to determine whether it would be beneficial for the two leaders to hold talks (in San Francisco) and return home."
Yoon on Wednesday had a three-minute encounter with Xi, just before the APEC formal session began.
When asked whether Yoon brought up the matter of military ties between Russia and North Korea during the encounter, the official said, "Our diplomacy treats the issue separately from China-related issues." Seoul's Foreign Minister Park Jin last week expressed hopes that Xi could play a constructive role in intervening in arms deals between Russia and North Korea.
Seoul is planning to host a trilateral summit of South Korea, China and Japan before the year's end. Separately, Yoon's office announced in September that Seoul is working to invite Xi to Korea.
An appellate court on Wednesday upheld a 40-year prison sentence for a man charged with fatally stab ...
Nara Space has successfully launched the Observer-1A, a self-developed commercial cube satellite, be ...
한·미 국방장관이 13일 북한의 핵과 대량살상무기(WMD) 위협에 대응해 10년 만에 확장억제 실행력을 담은 전략문서를 개정했다. 또 대북 확장억제 노력 향상과 제3국 견제가 담긴 ...
- Lee Hyori returns with 1st new song in 6 years
- Rising star pianists of three Asian countries join force for peace concert
- LG Twins crowned champions for 1st time since 1994 as S. Korean baseball season ends
- Seoul shares down amid possible US government shutdown woes
- 218 Koreans head home from Israel: Foreign Ministry
- Weak won pushes import prices up in October
尹 “하마스 무차별 공격 규탄”...척 슈머 등 美 상원 대표단 접견
홍익표, 조국 총선 출마설에 “조만간 뵙고 말씀 들을 것”
홍익표, 조국 총선 출마설에 “조만간 뵙고 말씀 들을 것”
S. Korea, US defense chiefs discuss 'tailored deterrence strategy' on N. Korea
[HIT Forum] More than 400 attendees explore space at HIT forum
British interdisciplinary artist Jane Benson turns literary texts into art
- China’s export curbs on graphite may raise battery prices for EVs
- [Herald Interview] Kang Ik
- 'Seventeenth Heaven' logs record
- [Hello Hangeul] Love for Hangeul grows in corner of Sweden
- [Herald Interview] Sustainability offers practical help to industries
- Hyundai Elevator wins Good Design Award 2023
- [Exclusive] Asia's Tang Contemporary Art to open first Western outpost in London
- Savor the irresistible taste of tteokbokki
- Samsung unveils next
- Corporate direct financing jumps nearly 40% in September
- [New in Korean] Millionaire dog sponsors human artist in Yun Ko
- 5 S. Koreans from Gaza arrived in Egypt via Rafah border: ministry
- Unification ministry plans to hold talks with UN Command to resume Panmunjom tour
- Arrest warrant issued for ex
- 尹대통령 지지율 1%p 오른 34%…국민의힘 34% 민주당 33% [갤럽]
- South Korea lining up banks to help finance $22 billion arms sale to Poland
- Actor Lee Sun
- S. Korea vaccinates over 76% of cattle against lumpy skin disease
- Blinken redoubles calls for humanitarian pause in Israel
- Yoon says fake news threatens freedom, elections at AI Safety Summit
- Seoul shares up for 3rd session on Fed's rate freeze
- Quake shakes northwest Nepal, killing at least 128 and injuring dozens
- S. Korea thanks countries near Gaza for assisting in evacuation of S. Korean family
- Unauthorized AI
- Japan returns favor again by flying 15 Korean nationals out of Israel
- [New in Korean] Even in city overrun by mold, humans dream of stars, sunsets
- [Our Museums] Legacy of early Catholics at Korean Catholic Martyrs' Museum
- S. Korea to set up task force to put rising prices under control
- Over 84% of cattle got vaccines against lumpy skin disease
- Foreign exchange reserves fall for third consecutive month