Biden picks top Asia aide as nominee for deputy secretary of state
简介US President Joe Biden chose his top Asia aide as the nominee for deputy secretary of state, the Whi ...
US President Joe Biden chose his top Asia aide as the nominee for deputy secretary of state, the White House said Wednesday, as Washington maintains its strategic focus on the Indo-Pacific despite growing tensions in the Middle East and Russia's war in Ukraine.
The White House said Biden expressed his intent to designate Kurt Campbell, the National Security Council coordinator for Indo-Pacific affairs, for the State Department's No. 2 post that has been left vacant since former Deputy Secretary Wendy Sherman retired in July.
Campbell's nomination appears to underscore the Biden administration's steady commitment to focusing on the Indo-Pacific region, which it has cast as the "epicenter" of geopolitics in the 21st century.
Campbell has served as deputy assistant to the president and coordinator for the Indo-Pacific since January 2021. From 2009 to 2013, he worked as the assistant secretary of state for East Asian and Pacific affairs.
He is known to be an architect of the "Pivot to Asia" policy, also known as the "rebalancing policy," under the Barack Obama administration. The policy was designed to refocus on the Asia-Pacific region rising as a fulcrum of global power and wealth.
Campbell has also been a key driver of the Biden administration's policy efforts to revitalize the US' alliances and partnerships with Indo-Pacific countries, including South Korea and Japan. The efforts were highlighted by the strengthening of trilateral cooperation between Seoul, Washington and Tokyo.
He is well-versed in Korean Peninsula affairs given his extensive experience related to Asia. In July, he attended the inaugural meeting in Seoul of the Nuclear Consultative Group, a key deterrence dialogue body between the allies.
Campbell is to undergo a Senate confirmation process for his appointment. (Yonhap)
Korea’s only astronaut, Yi Soyeon, delivered a keynote speech Wednesday at The Korea Herald's H ...
South Korea and the United Arab Emirates have agreed to increase the maximum number of commercial fl ...
South Korea's military exemptions granted to qualified athletes and musicians were called into ...
- [HIT Forum]Space forum sees opportunities beyond our 'pale blue dot'
- [Photo News] 2023 Sea Art Festival returns to Busan's Ilgwang Beach
- [Herald Interview] Indonesia's Aladin Bank CEO eyes digital banking partnerships with Korea
- [Herald Interview] Samuel Youn celebrates career in ‘From Darkness to Light’
- LG CNS launches new AI platform for corporate clients
- Dansaekhwa master Park Seo
[HIT Forum]Space forum sees opportunities beyond our 'pale blue dot'
Igis launches $100m secondary fund for overseas investment
尹지지율 긍정 33%·부정 58%…"명절 기간 물가 등 경제난 체감"
[Korean History] In 2003's Daegu, disaster plays out underground
New US special envoy for N. Korean human rights issues takes office, plans to visit Seoul next week
- S. Korean shares close higher ahead of US inflation data
- 홍익표, 조국 총선 출마설에 “조만간 뵙고 말씀 들을 것”
- Business groups demand more flexible working hour system
- Seoul mayor to consider street festivities for LG Twins' victory
- SK On to furlough workers, cut production at US plant
- Music director, composer Jung Jae
- ‘Believer 2’ returns as 'midquel' with new characters, stronger plot
- KBS determined to regain public trust
- [Today’s K
- Weak won pushes import prices up in October
- [KH Explains] Shipbuilders scramble to secure labor force amid booming industry
- Foreign workers' deaths get weak sanctions
- S. Korea, US and Japan to conduct joint aerial exercise for 1st time: source
- 'Apgujeong Box Girl' sparks online debate
- Seoul shares open lower on tech, battery slump
- "위성사진까지 대조한다" 밭에서 4억원어치 보물 캐는 사람들
- Scholars shed light on late Samsung chief’s management initiatives
- Biden says Hamas must be eliminated, US officials warn war could escalate
- SK Chemicals partners with Estee Lauder for eco
- NY Met exhibition to mark 25th anniversary of Korean gallery
- BTS' Jungkook headed to Paris as MTV EMA nominee, performer
- “이게 KF
- Beef prices have soared 100
- US toughens rules on exports of advanced computing chips to China
- New government initiative offers W3b reward to combat digital piracy
- Industry minister asks refiners to use fair pricing policy amid Israel
- Import prices rise for 3rd month on higher oil costs
- Biden to visit Israel as war in Gaza sparks humanitarian crisis
- Opposition leader away in court with critics calling for his departure from party
- 안철수 측 "심장이상? 허위" 장성철 "安 쓰러져 심폐소생술"